Perth will expect to be enjoying an average daytime temperature in the region of 23 degrees Celcius, dropping to around 11 degrees at night, with an average of around 9 hours of sunshine per day. The sun can be dangerous, even in cloudy weather, so be sure to take care of yourself by packing a broad brimmed hat, long sleeved shirt and sunscreen (SPF 50+). For those wanting a swim in the ocean, the water temperature at this time of years averages around 22 degrees.
Most international credit cards are accepted in Australia, e.g. VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Diners etc. are widely accepted at all banks and hotels. Click here for an exchange rate converter.
English is the official language of Australia. Translation services are available on request. Please contact the ACG for details.
Perth Airport is Perth’s main airport, and is located 12 km from the CBD, and 25 km from the event venue at Scarborough. It is accessible by taxi or Uber or, alternatively, there are a number of shuttle bus operators that will service the route.
You require an international licence or licence from your own country to hire a car. Cars are right hand drive and the rule of the road is to keep to the left. We recommend Budget, a car hire company that offers great service and competitive rates. Others to choose from include Europcar, Bayswater Car Rental, Avis and Hertz. You may also like to use a comparison website such as this one.
Public transport is available in the form of trains, buses and ferries. To help plan your trip, visit transperth.wa.gov.au.
For the Shoppers:
General business hours: Monday–Friday: 9am–5pm
Banks: Monday–Thursday: 9:30am–4pm, Friday: 9:30am–5pm
Post offices: Monday–Friday: 9am–5pm
Retail shops: Monday–Friday: 9am–5pm (Thursdays 9pm, or Fridays 9pm in the CBD)
Saturday: 9am–5pm (check individual stores for specific hours)
Sunday: 11pm–5pm (some stores do not trade on Sundays; check individual stores for specific times)
Attractions in Scarborough
The Paste 2018 Seminar venue, the Rendezvous Hotel enjoys a beach front location at one of the most popular beaches in Perth. Some suggested activities in Scarborough include:
- Sunset Hill – an expansive grassed area where you can picnic or just take a break and enjoy the 180 degree view of Scarborough Beach.
- Art Space Outdoor gallery – An outdoor exhibition created by local artists and based on local residents and visitors.
- Kiteboarding – Adventure Kiting WA offer beginner lessons for those wanting to learn to kite surf.
- Surfing – Scarborough is a hub for surfing lessons with providers including: Scarborough Beach Surf School, Surfing Lessons Perth, and Go Surf Perth.
- Scarborough Beach Amphitheatre – The Amphitheatre is located on the foreshore of Scarborough Beach is a great venue to catch up with friends, grab a bite to eat and watch the sunset over the beautiful Indian Ocean.
For more things to do in Scarborough, click here.
For local dining and nightlife options, click here.
A great Sunset Coast holiday planner can be found here.
Attractions in Greater Perth
Explore Perth, the capital and largest city of Western Australia. Some suggested sites include:
- Kings Park – for lovers of the outdoors and for a spectacular view of the city and the Swan River, Kings Park is a must-see. This park stretches over 400 hectares and contains over 300 native plant species and over 70 bird species. There’s plenty to do here, whether it’s admiring the vast range of wildflowers, having a picnic, walking along the treetop walk or climbing the DNA Tower.
- Swan River – experience the beauty of the Swan River on a cruise, or hire a bike or kayak to explore the city and river.
- Perth Mint – this beautiful building offers activities, exhibitions and demonstrations, such as watching a traditional gold pour in the melting house or marvelling at Australia’s largest natural nugget collection.
- Art Gallery of Western Australia – located in the heart of the city, free tours are offered for those wishing to view over 1000 works of art.
- Fremantle – Only 20 minutes by train from Perth, Fremantle is WA’s main port. Enjoy the vibrant culture Fremantle has to offer. With markets open from Friday afternoon to Sunday night, microbreweries, galleries, shopping and plenty of restaurants and cafes, Fremantle has plenty to offer. For more of Fremantle’s historic heritage, visit the Western Australia Maritime Museum on Victoria Quay.
- Hillary’s Boat Harbour – this recreational destination offers a wide range of restaurants and shops. There are plenty of activities to do here, whether it’s relaxing on the sand, swimming in the calm waters, fishing or enjoying the cycle paths and walkways.
- Perth Zoo – visit over 230 species of wildlife by take a ferry from the Barrack Street Jetty to Mends Street in South Perth. From there it is only a five minute walk to the zoo, which is open every day of the year.
- Perth Concert Hall – home to the West Australian Symphony Orchestra, hosting more than 160 performance
Just Outside Perth
From the Ocean to the Valley to the Hills, experience Western Australia’s best tourism highlights, including:
- Swan Valley – a 40 minute drive north-east of the city, Swan Valley is Western Australia’s oldest wine-growing region. This region features a number of award-winning wineries that also offer alfresco and restaurant dining. Home to the Margaret River Chocolate factory, The Cheese Barrel and the Feral and Duckstein Breweries, this delightful area has something to offer all palates.
- Rottnest Island – located 22 kilometres off the WA coast, Rottnest Island is one of Perth’s most popular tourist destinations, offering snorkelling, diving and guided tours. Hire a bike and ride around the island, only 11 kilometres long and 4.5 kilometres wide.
- Penguin Island – off the coast of Rockingham, less than an hour south of Perth by car, visitors can see fairy penguins, dolphins and seals in their natural environments.
- The Perth Hills – only 45 minutes from the city centre, explore the beauty of the area’s national parks and state forests. For more information and trail maps, click here.
Special Offer: 2-for-1 Admission
The Perth Mint is Australia’s oldest working mint and is one of the oldest mints in the world still operating from its original premises.
With exhibitions, demonstrations, and guided walks, the Perth Mint is a wonderful experience for both locals and tourists looking to learn more about an important aspect of Western Australian history.
The Perth Mint has kindly offered delegates of Paste 2018 a 2-for-1 admission ticket. Delegates must present proof of conference registration (via smart phone or paper) and tickets must be purchased in person at the Mint.
This offer is valid from 9am Wednesday 4 April to 5pm Friday 20 April 2018.
Please visit www.perthmint.com.au for further details.
Special Offer: 20% Discount
Whether you’re interested in exploring our port city of Fremantle, our gourmet food and wine region of the Swan Valley, or the bustling Perth CBD, Captain Cook Cruises has a cruise for you. Each cruise provides a unique opportunity to see what our city has to offer.
Captain Cook Cruises has kindly offered delegates of Paste 2018 a 20% discount on wine cruises, beer cruises, lunch cruises, and dinner cruises for the Perth, Fremantle, and Swan Valley regions. Delegates must quote the promotion code ISPTT18 at the time of booking. The code applies to all adult fares for all public scheduled cruises excluding ‘Bus, Lunch & Tram’, ‘Triple Tour’, ‘Triple Tour Deluxe’, Rottnest Island, and Special Cruises.
This offer is valid from Wednesday 4 April to Friday 20 April 2018.
Please visit www.captaincookcruises.com.au or call (08) 9325 3341 for further details.
Special Offer: 10% Discount
Two Feet & A Heartbeat offer walking tours of culture, arts, heritage, history, and food and beverage. They cover the lot and with more tours, more often, they always have a tour that will suit you. They are a team of passionate people who offer premium experiences for those who are genuinely interested in looking at things from a different perspective. Their guides will introduce you to cultural, historical, arts, food and beverage, and lifestyle scene in a fun, relaxed, informative, and conversational manner. If you have a group or specific request, they can accommodate bespoke private tours as well.
Two Feet & A Heartbeat has kindly offered delegates of Paste 2018 and their partners a 10% discount on walking tours. Delegates must quote the promotion code PASTE2018 at the time of booking.
This offer is valid from Wednesday 4 April to Friday 20 April 2018.
Please visit www.twofeet.com.au for further information.